It had 5 platforms and was a particularly busy interchange with steam boats and the nearby ferry to Gravesend.
By 1854 the railway had been extended towards Stanford le Hope - trains arrived at Tilbury Riverside from Tilbury Town, then
reversed via a second line out towards Stanford le Hope; a direct line was also provided which by-passed Tilbury Riverside
creating a triangle shape.
As time went on, the number of passengers using Tilbury Riverside fell as the steam boats began to disappear - traffic on the nearby
ferry to Gravesend also declined. Most trains reversed in the station on their journey between London and Southend, but as the
station neared closure, services became restricted and most through trains ran via the direct line missing out the station altogether.
The station was in the ‘Network SouthEast’ era when it was decided to close the station; the last trains ran to the station on 29th
The missing link to the ferry is now provided by a minibus shuttle, operated under contract by current rail operator c2c.
The site of the former platform area is now occupied by a container storage & distribution operation with the station building being
used by ‘Tilbury passenger terminal’.